Empathy Adult Education
Explore Our Zoom Forums
Empathy Surplus Network USA seeks members who govern with empathy for and responsibility to humanity to join our Zoom forums in order that all our members become more effective.
“Now, therefore, The General Assembly proclaims this Universal Declaration of Human Rights as a common standard of achievement for all peoples and all nations, to the end that every individual and every organ of society, keeping this Declaration constantly in mind, shall strive by teaching and education to promote respect for these rights and freedoms and by progressive measures, national and international, to secure their universal and effective recognition and observance, both among the Member States themselves and among the peoples of territories under their jurisdiction.”
– Preamble, 1948, a Democrat US President sent a Republican former Vermont Senator as our UN Ambassador to cast the USA Yes Vote.
Human rights thought leaders are most effective when they frame their particular human rights debate around human rights values expressed in the Preamble and Articles 1, 2, 29, and 30. Article 1 states:
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.They are endowed with reason and conscience and must act towards each other in a spirit of brotherhood.
Human rights values education begins with committing to responsibility as a core value of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights!
Human rights thought leaders are most effective when they reframe their particular human rights debate around UDHR Article 29 responsibility. Responsibility or duty comes in two forms – personal and mutual. Article 29 states:
1) Everyone has duties to the community in which alone the free and full development of his personality is possible.
2) In the exercise of his rights and freedoms, everyone shall be subject only to such limitations as are determined by law solely for the purpose of securing due recognition and respect for the rights and freedoms of others and of meeting the just requirements of morality, public order and the general welfare in a democratic society.
3) These rights and freedoms may in no case be exercised contrary to the purposes and principles of the United Nations.
Human rights thought leader arguments become stronger when we remind our hearers that the moral basis of their particular human rights passion is their commitment to empathy for and responsibility to the lives of all human beings who have been born. We must begin, as the original human rights framers did in 1948, by stating our care for humanity.
Benefits to Local Human Rights Values Education Zoom Forums
- Increase your understanding of cognitive science and linguistics in political and moral discourse
- Learn how to expand empathy in yourself and others
- Learn how to respond to conservatives
- Expand your personal sense of a nurturant purpose
- Give direction to your duty to care for self and others
- Strengthen your ability to communicate care more effectively
- Improve your collaboration skills needed in a caring society
- Reduce your feelings of helplessness and be the responsible change
- Increase your security in the knowledge of what counts as effective nurturant communication
- Build your oratory confidence with practice
- Improve your caring critical thinking through testimonials and conversations
- Meet other caring citizens who want to expand empathy in their communities
- Feel better after talking about human rights expansion
Caring Thought Leaders Core Values
the soul of democracy
both personal and social
to govern with empathy and responsibility
Pro-Empathy Freedom Voters
Cultivate Empathy with
Culture Diplomacy S.H.O.E.S.
S - Show up at public and private meetings to cultivate empathy
H - Help elected officials cultivate empathy in civic tasks
O - Organize to cultivate empathy in civic tasks
E - Educate about human rights empathy, the soul of democracy
S - Start each day to publicly cultivate empathy
George Lakoff's Resources
The basic idea is this: Dr. Lakoff's resources are free and open to all. He will provide framing suggestions regularly over social media, and whoever receives them can decide how to use them, and whether to share them or retweet them. Dr. Lakoff's process is bottom-up.
Dr. Lakoff also offers this framing service to activist organizations, media folks, and elected officials and their staff.
Pro-Empathy Pledge to the People of the World
(Recited while holding a neighbor's hand. People from other countries may insert the name of their country.)
I pledge allegiance to the people of the world
and to my neighbors in the United States of America
and to our human rights, which I defend and promote,
one world governed with empathy and responsibility,
with liberty and justice for all.
Empathy Surplus Network USA is a 501c3 local human rights empathy education community of practice that applies the latest brain insights of George Lakoff to moral and political discourse to protect human rights with the rule of law. To reverse our national empathy deficit, we invite you to join our culture diplomacy initiative to make empathy, the soul of democracy and ethical business, the center of public and private debate. Donations are exempt from federal income taxation under section 501(a) and described in section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code.